Plastic encapsulation of IC components is a process where an integrated circuits chip is being capsulated with Epoxy Molding Compound (EMC) via the transfer molding process to prevent physical damage or corrosion. In addition to the complex chemorheology of EMC, the electronic components with sophisticated and fine design have brought the challenges and uncertainty to encapsulation processes. Common defects of chip encapsulation include incomplete fill, voids, wire sweep, paddle shift and package warpage.
Moldex3D Encapsulation provides comprehensive 3D solutions that help engineers to analyze the complicated physical phenomena inherent in encapsulation processes and further optimize the design and process.
How Can Moldex3D Benefit Chip Encapsulation Process?
Moldex3D Chip Encapsulation provides innovative and complete tools for users to gain the sights of plastic encapsulation processes. The filling and curing processes of the thermoset resins, along with all the critical characteristics including warpage, wire sweep and paddle shift can all be visualized by the software. From Moldex3D Chip Encapsulation, you can benefit on
- Package and mold design validation and optimization to reduce manufacturing cost and design cycle time.
- Simulation-driven-design of complex and innovative IC packages.
Explore Moldex3D’s Capabilities for IC Packaging
- The customized preprocessor for IC package designers to build models with high quality.
- The characteristics of parametric modeling and the compatibility of CSV files save users’ energy and time on building models.
- The accurate solution of chip encapsulation processes brings the complex rheology and curing reaction of EMC into simulation. Users are able to visualize filling and curing processes and detect potential defects such as air traps and weld lines, and further optimize runner and gate designs.
- Visualize wire sweep caused by the drag force of resin flow exerted on wires and therefore prevent problems like short circuit or broken wires- resulting from wire crossing.
- Predict paddle deflection caused by the pressure drop during mold filling
- Calculate the warpage by considering the correlation of components, resins, and their properties including CLTE of various materials and p-v-T-C of the molding compound.
- Coupled with structural analysis software, Moldex3D Chip Encapsulation brings users the flexibility and insights of products and the real-world performance on wire sweep and paddle shift.